Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tower of Babel- Isaac Satin

The Tower of Babel story is from the book of Genesis. It depicts everyone on earth speaking the same language and congregating in a city where they began to build a tower to reach the heavens so that they could make a name for themselves and not be separated. God, upon seeing the tower, made a semi-cryptic remark about how, with such unity, humanity could accomplish anything. Then God made everyone start speaking a bunch of different languages and scattered them across the globe (many versions of the story also depict the tower being destroyed in the ensuing confusion). This is probably tied to humanity disobeying God's request/demand to "fill the Earth," though some feel that God felt threatened at humanity's ambition combined with their ability to work in unison.

I want my next language to be the language of music. I used to play the trumpet back in middle school, but have since forgotten how to even read a note. However, I can carry a tune with my voice fairly well despite having no actual knowledge of music, and I also try to listen to one new album a week on average, so I think learning some music theory would be an excellent way to expand upon my current knowledge and could have some potential benefits down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment