Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Post 4 (Cain and Abel): Lucy Wan

Cain and Abel are siblings, born from Adam and Eve. Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In time, Cain and Abel brought offerings to Lord; Cain brought the fruits of the soil, and Abel brought portions from the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked upon Abel with favor, but shunned the gifts Cain had brought him. Cain flew into a fit of rage, and kills Abel. The Lord learns of this sin, and curses Cain; nothing will ever grow if he plants it and his killer will suffer vengeance seven times over.

Sibling rivalry is nearly unavoidable. In my own family, I am constantly compared to my younger brother as his athletic prowess is far superior than mine. But, the opposite is also true. My mother reminds my brother to live up to my academic record and to surpass me. These emotions can be strong and cause tension at times. It is awful to be put head-to-head against someone. But, sibling rivalry is natural. In the end, we can push ourselves to be the best versions of ourselves. Competition usually doesn't hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment