Monday, October 27, 2014

Sydney Blog #8 (Tower of Babel)

In the Bible, the Israelites were God's chosen people. He commanded Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply" and commanded the Israelites to do the same after each generation that passed. He told them to spread themselves across the Earth and cover the entire globe. At this point, it is assumed that all men speak the same language and are able to live and interact together with no trouble. However, they decided to come together and build a high tower (probably a ziggurat) to "reach the heavens". God became angry with them because (1) they came together and did not follow the commandment to "be fruitful and fill the Earth" and (2) they thought that if they built a tower, they could reach the heavens and become like God themselves. God, as exemplified through many stories in the Old Testament, despised arrogance and decided to crush their collective goal by confusing the languages of the people. The "Tower of Babel" that they were trying to build became a symbol of the confusing of languages and new languages coming about.


The new language that I am trying to learn right now is Hungarian. My mentoring project is to learn this language, and I am regularly practicing vocabulary and grammar. I also am fluent in Spanish, as I took AP last year. My goal is to become fluent in many languages because I find them vastly interesting. Some languages on my "to learn" list include: Russian, Arabic, Icelandic, and German.

No comments:

Post a Comment