Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rhyme Scheme-Zac Byrd

Halloween Party

By Kenn Nesbitt b. 1962 Kenn Nesbitt
     
We’re having a Halloween party at school. A
I’m dressed up like Dracula. Man, I look cool! A
I dyed my hair black, and I cut off my bangs. B
I’m wearing a cape and some fake plastic fangs. B
 
I put on some makeup to paint my face white, C
like creatures that only come out in the night. C
My fingernails, too, are all pointed and red. D
I look like I’m recently back from the dead. D
 
My mom drops me off, and I run into school A
and suddenly feel like the world’s biggest fool. A
The other kids stare like I’m some kind of freak—   E
the Halloween party is not till next week. E
 
I know its only the beginning of October but my family's had our Halloween decorations out for 3 weeks already.  Every year we put our decorations out I feel like the kid who thought Halloween was way before when it was supposed to be.  This poem mainly uses end rhyme with the rhyme scheme being AABB CCDD AAEE.  This scheme made the poem feel like everything was clicking and going together for this kid until he went back to school.  Nesbitt brought back the A part of the rhyme scheme at the end but changed the wording a little and I thought this showed a change in the kids attitude.  Suddenly things aren't clicking for him anymore and he is very embarrassed.  This is how the rhyme scheme shapes the poem.
Rooney, Kathleen. "Halloween Party." Poetry Foundation. Poetry Foundation. Web. 9 Oct. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment