Tuesday, October 28, 2014

assignment 8- Saba Khandani

At first, Eros became angry with Apollo for mocking the power of his arrows. As a way to punish him, Eros hit Apollo with an arrow, covered in gold,that caused him to fall desperately in love with Daphne. He also shot Daphne with anther arrow, covered in lead, that made her loathe love and romance. Apollo began to pursue Daphne in the woods, but as he approached she began to run faster and faster. When Apollo was about to grasp Daphne she prayed to her father (the river god- Peneus) and was transformed into a laurel tree. Still in love with Daphne, Apollo declared that the leaves of the laurel tree would always be green and he would always wear a wreath of laurel leaves around his head.  After the crown was used for all the winners at his games and great heroes in the years to come would be crowned with laurel leaves. Since then the laurel has become a symbol of victory in Greek culture.

As some people know I used to, as stil somewhat, have an unexplainable fear of death. It's really the only guaranteed event in your life, yet somehow I can't come to terms with it. This fear really peaked for me at the of ten; to a point where even the thought of death would result in panic attcks. But now that I've learned life goes on, I've become more accepting of the thought. As you can imagine, the 10-year-old me would love eternal youth. But now not so much. Of course part of that phobia still lives within me, so maybe extending our lifetime to about 200 years would sound ideal, but I'm not sure I want to be alive when global warming or aliens take over our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment