Monday, October 13, 2014

Pygmalion and Galatea


            Pygmalion really hated women, and decided that he would never marry. He was also a talented sculptor, and had made a statue out of ivory that surpassed all women in beauty. Pygmalion eventually fell in love with his creation and began treating the statue as if it were a living woman, leaving her gifts, laying her on the couch, and calling her his wife. When the festival of Aphrodite rolled around, Pygmalion performed his part in the celebration and then asked the gods for a wife like that of his "ivory virgin" although he was thinking solely of Galatea herself. Aphrodite heard his prayers and when Pygmalion went home that night, he found that his statue had come to life. Aphrodite blessed the couple, and from them, a child named Paphos was born.

            I would like for the main character from the play Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street to come to life. I could start up a small business with my associate Mr. Todd; he'd be a barber in the room upstairs, while I'd sell meat pies. I'm sure we'd make a killing. That is, as long as no one asks questions. If that occurred, I'd make sure my getaway was as clean as possible. In that case, Todd presents a loose end that I'd have to tie up before I take our fortune and abscond with it. He's easy enough to fit in the oven.

Not quite the Pygmalion/ Galatea love story we were looking for.

            Bulfinch. "Pygmalion and Galatea in Greek Mythology." Mythography. Web. 13 Oct. 2014. <http://www.loggia.com/myth/galatea.html>.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment