Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tower of Babel Hannah Pauley

Genesis 11 tells the story of when the people of the world (in Shinar) coordinated to build a tower of brick and tar (Babel) which would lead all the way up to the heavens. The Lord, not pleased with this incredible ability to coordinate against his will, chose to scatter the people of the world, and thus estrange them from one another, creating multiple different languages. Then one person named Shahem begat some people who begat some more people, and so on down a long line of prosperity.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?dc=2&utm_expid=13466113-14.7HxyD5XxTMyyfz37nhl-Gg.2&search=Genesis+11&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CCAQFjAA%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.biblegateway.com%252Fpassage%252F%253Fsearch%253DGenesis%252B11%26ei%3DJVRQVPTtJeXC8QG7ioG4BA%26usg%3DAFQjCNFJmWXW3OEXlK19W73-Adm6nSzQCw%26sig2%3DT1IyMzKt9tr9IPbJX0FNrw%26bvm%3Dbv.78597519%2Cd.b2U

My stairway to heaven, my path to "the good life," would be one of absolute sovereignty. In a time when daunting application deadlines are drawing nearer, and attending college as a life requirement in general seems oppressive, I dream of total and unrestrained freedom. If I had my own way, I would pave my path to glory unburdened by the advice of others and unhindered by the shackles of modern American society. I would, if I could, live my life from here on out like a character of a Jack Kerouac novel: riding freight trains, and seeking only adventure, companionship, and enlightenment. By seeking only the most basic human needs and desires, I would, in theory, live in the same simplistic bliss as Thoreau in his northern cabin, only hopefully with less absolute loneliness and with greater mobility. On my stairway to heaven, I may engage in regular worldly activities such as working a job, paying rent, or seeing movies but only if I chose to do so. In essence, I would transcend from my lowly state in the world by abandoning my responsibilities to it. My heaven, if I were ever to reach it, would be a quaint and peaceful lifestyle in some gorgeous place in the mountains or the countryside or something just as idyllic.

Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®

No comments:

Post a Comment