Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rhyme Scheme Kaylyn Torkelson


Lines from a Plutocratic Poetaster to a Ditch-digger

By Franklin Pierce Adams

 

Sullen, grimy, labouring person,

      As I passed you in my car,

I could sense your muffled curse on

      It and me and my cigar;

And though mute your malediction,

      I could feel it on my head,

As in countless works of fiction

            I have read.

 

Envy of mine obvious leisure

      Seemed to green your glittering eye;

Hate for mine apparent pleasure

      Filled you as I motored by.

You who had to dig for three, four

      Hours in that unpleasant ditch,

Loathed, despised, and hated me for

            Being rich.

 

And you cursed me into Hades

      As you envied me that ride

With the loveliest of ladies

      Sitting at my dexter side;

And your wish, or your idea,

      Was to hurl us off some cliff.

I could see that you thought me a

            Lucky stiff.

 

If you came to the decision,

      As my car you mutely cussed,

That allottment and division

      Are indecently unjust—

Labouring man, however came you

      Thus to think the world awry,

I should be the last to blame you …

            So do I.

 

The rhyme scheme of this poem is ababcdcd (and so forth throughout the poem).

Essentially every other line rhymes, until we reach the end of the poem when the rhymes

get a little more questionable ("you" and "you," followed by "awry" and "I"). The beginning

section contains standard end rhyme that almost reminds me of the sing-song ways

children make fun of each other in movies. The author is using the first three

stanzas to brag about his wealth and contrast his situation with that of the ditch-digger,

acting as any stereotypical wealthy man might, and the rhyme scheme aids him in making

the words sound childish and smug. The last four lines of the fourth stanza stand out

because the rhyme scheme falters here, as mentioned earlier, and the narrator loses the

previous tone of haughtiness and the sing-song attitude. The rhyming stops just in time for

the narrator to announce that he completely agrees with all the thoughts of the ditch

digger and also doesn't understand the odd distribution of wealth. The end of the rhyme in

the poem emphasizes this change in tone. The last lines of each stanza are also shorter in

length than all the other lines, which serves to emphasize them as well, because they

break up the natural rhythm/flow of the poetry.

 

Adams, Franklin. "Lines from a Plutocratic Poetaster to a Ditch Digger." Poetry Foundation. Web. 9 Oct. 2014. <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/175258#poem>.

No comments:

Post a Comment