Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Assignment 8: Grace Goulson

Apollo and Eros were having an archery contest and Eros hit Apollo with a special arrow that filled him with insatiable lust. Daphne, who I guess was just standing around, got hit with an arrow that made her completely indifferent to love and romance. Ironically, smitten Apollo began chasing after Daphne, who of course wasn't receptive to his romantic advances. To attempt to escape, Daphne asked her father, who was a water god, to transform her. She was then turned into a laurel tree, but that didn't stop Apollo fom wanting her. He made a wreath out of her leaves and wore it for eternity. Thus the laurel tree became a symbol of Apollo. 

Eternal youth has been sought after for nearly all of history, but I don't get the appeal. I'd rather live a full, complete life, that way it's meant to be. I'm sure there are good things that come with every age, and I'm excited to become a middle-aged person, a retired person, and then a really old person. Sure it would be nice to have boundless energy and strength, but I'm hoping that my mental strength will keep my life interesting. This is what I believe now, but who knows what I'll think when I'm well past my physical prime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment