Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Post 1- Cassadi Cordea

Bad Day

Kay Ryan

Not every day
is a good day
for the elfin tailor.
Some days
the stolen cloth
reveals what it
was made for:
a handsome weskit
or the jerkin
of an elfin sailor.
Other days
the tailor
sees a jacket
in his mind
and sets about
to find the fabric.
But some days
neither the idea
nor the material
presents itself;
and these are
the hard days
for the tailor elf.

From Say Uncle, 2000
Grove/Atlantic, Inc
Copyright 2000 Kay Ryan.
All rights reserved

I think this poem demonstrates a universal theme because everyone who has ever lived could relate to this. A theme of this poem is that some days are better than others. We are going to have an abundance of ideas some days, and we are going to struggle to come up with any on other days. This is a conflict that people face every day of their lives. Ryan uses a tailor as the subject, but this is only to make sure the audience fully understands the deeper meaning of the poem. It's not literally about the struggles of a tailor. Like the tailor, we all have bad days. It's simply a part of life. I chose this poem because I feel that my thoughts about my own every day struggles go along with what Kay Ryan wrote. I feel that I can really relate to this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment