Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Assignment 4-Eliot Smith

In the biblical story, Eve, whose husband was Adam, gave birth to two sons: Cain and Abel.  Abel's job was to raise the livestock, and Cain's job was to tend to the crops.  Abel offered part of his livestock to the Lord, while Cain offered some of his crops.  However, God was satisfied only with Abel's offering.  This made Cain jealous of his brother, so much so that Cain killed Abel shortly after.  The Lord obviously noticed this, and cursed Cain so that he could never grow any crops again.  Cain left his home and didn't return.

A sibling relationship void of jealously and annoyance does not exist.  It is in a sibling's instinct to vie for the most attention from their parents, even if this is at the cost of the other sibling's happiness.  I have experienced this first-hand--I can recall many times where I felt that my sister was in the spotlight and I felt neglected, and I'm sure she felt the same way at other times.  Although it never got to a point where I invited her out for a walk and killed her, there were certainly times where I almost felt like it.  It is only later in adolesence that the siblings tend to distance themselves from their parents that this competition begins to fade.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the last section because I can identify with it. Sibling relationships do have negative aspects but they are also good. Your summation was detailed yet concise.

    ReplyDelete