Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Post 2 Kaylyn Torkelson

Pandora's Box


Pandora was curious and opened a jar in her husband's house, releasing multiple plagues into the world. The only thing that didn't escape the jar was hope, which is why we keep hope even in the darkest of times. (Like when someone unleashes plagues upon our households. Or the world.) The world is full of evils that stem from Pandora's mistakes: world hunger, genocide/war, racism, sexism, country music, and brussel sprouts. (Thanks Pandora.) Among the evils that I'd like to squelch (this is all I can think of at the moment, although I will surely come up with more) are overcrowded high schools, bad drivers, unnecessarily lazy people, standardized tests, the College Board, oversized egos, the laws of caloric intake vs. weight, and the incredibly long line at Starbucks in the UK Student Center every Tuesday/Thursday at 9 am. (Followed by the judgmental looks I receive from certain people named Jack, Genghis, and David whenever I stand in said line.) But even in the darkest of times, hope can be found in mentoring hours, attentive drivers, people who give a crap, free Saturdays, humble people, CHOCOLATE, and Magee's Donuts. At least Pandora didn't screw that one up too badly.

"Pandora in Myth." Mythography. Www.logia.com. Web. 16 Sept. 2014. <http://www.loggia.com/myth/pandora.html>.




2 comments:

  1. Kaylyn,

    I also get judgmental looks from Jack, Genghis, and David when I stand in the Starbucks line too; I know where you're coming from. I've actually never tried brussel sprouts, but I'll take your word that they're awful. Magee's Donuts are dope, good choice.

    Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you and Drew both have Country Music on your lists of evil you'd like to squelch it's clear that nobody likes it. And I highly agree with your hope in CHOCOLATE.

    ReplyDelete