Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Post 1 - Alex Warren

Fight

Laurel Blossom

That is the difference between me and you.
You pack an umbrella, #30 sun goo
And a red flannel shirt.  That's not what I do.
I put the top down as soon as we arrive.
The temperature's trying to pass fifty-five.
I'm freezing but at least I'm alive.
Nothing on earth can diminish my glee.
This is Florida, Florida, land of euphoria,
Florida in the highest degree.
You dig in the garden.  I swim in the pool.
I like to wear cotton.  You like to wear wool.
You're always hot.  I'm usually cool.
You want to get married.  I want to be free.
You don't seem to mind that we disagree.

And that is the difference between you and me.
from The Papers Said, 1993
Greenhouse Review Press, Santa Cruz, California
Copyright 1993 by Laurel Blossom.
All rights reserved.
I think this is a universal theme talking about how opposites attract in love and in relationships. There will be difernces and conflict between the two lovers, but their love will overcome all! Or will it? Somtimes love confines you and doesn't let you be who you want to be, so your love must be ended, so you can be free.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your analysis. It was a cute poem that really shows the difference between people, and how the small differences between us all is what helps people grow close. And I definitely agree with you about how if someone isn't willing to tolerate you you should be free and how that connects back to this poem about acceptance.

    ReplyDelete