Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Post #1-Saba

You may not believe in magic,
But don't you think it strange
The amount of matter in the universe
Has never slightly changed
That all which makes your body
Was once part of something more
And every breath you ever breathe
Has seen it all before
There are countless scores of beauty
In all the things that you despise
It could once have been a shooting star
That now makes up your thighs
And atoms of forgotten life
WhoI've long since ceased to roam
May now have the great honour
To call your crooked smile their home
You may not believe in magic
But I thought that you should know
The makings of your heart were born
Fourteen billion years ago
So next time you feel lonely
When this world makes you feel small
Just remember that it's part of you
And you're part of it all.

-e.h

I really like this poem because my friend from GSA found this-- I've tried looking for it online everywhere but I haven't been able to find it. I still don't know who the author "e.h" is what their story is. I think the mystery about the poem and the context make it very interesting. When I was about 7 years old I had a panic attack because as I was laying in bed I realized that I'm so small. I'm such as insignificant part of this world- This galaxy and everything in existence. I'm like a cell in the body. There are millions and I can't even see one. I'm that one that you can only see under a telescope. That freaked me out. And to. Be honest I still worry about that now. This poem just seems to put my mind at ease and helps me accept the fact that me and my problems aren't so significant after all. The world is not going to end if I miss a deadline and mess something up. Because honestly the universe is till going to be here tomorrow to see another. This poem also puts in perspective how we are all a part something so much greater than ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Saba, I also had a panic attack when I was about 7 years old because I was laying in bed and I realized that I'm so small. Your analysis is very thorough and introspective--for that I applaud you. I also believe that magic is real.

    Well done.

    Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this poem, from the idea to the rhyming, it all flows perfectly. To think that all I am was once something or someone else, both bigger and smaller than me is a comforting idea. The theme that life goes on is universal, but I feel like this poem really embodies that theme because in essence it is saying that nothing every truly disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, after I read the first sentence in the poem I started to sing the Selena Gomez song. Second, I really liked the poem too and I like how it's less known. Lastly, I like how you acknowledged a problem that you were struggling with and showed how this poem helped you to overcome this problem.

    ReplyDelete