Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Importance of Being Earnest

The play by Oscar Wilde, the Importance of Being Earnest, is unique because it has humor that appeals to all types of audiences. It has "low" humor such as slapstick and farce, and "high" humor like situational irony and comedy of manners. One of my favorite lines from the first act is when Algernon says, "Some aunts are tall, some aunts are not tall. That is a matter surly an aunt may be allowed to decide for herself." The notion that people, particularly aunts can pick their height is absurd, making the statement funny.

Personally, my favorite type of humor is political satire. I was first introduced to political satire during the 2008 presidential election (my favorite skit- https://screen.yahoo.com/palin-rap-000000488.html). Along with SNL, I am a Stephen Colbert fan. Although the Colbert Nation came to an end a few months ago he will always have a special place in my heart(the best of Colbert- http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/features/best-of-colbert-report). With Jon Stuart also leaving, I will have to find my political humor in other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment