Sunday, March 8, 2015

Comedy: Grace Goulson

One of my favorite parts from Act I was when Jack and Algernon were discussing Jack's "aunt" Cecily. Responding to Algernon's confusion of why she called herself "little Cecily" in the note, Jack says: "Some aunts are tall, some aunts are not tall. That is a matter that surely an aunt may be allowed to decide for herself. You seem to think that every aunt should be exactly like your aunt! That is absurd!" Indeed, though, the very fact that Jack is getting so unusually riled up about this is comical to me. Another comical moment came when Lady Bracknell says "Well I must say, Algernon, that I think it is high time that Mr. Bunbury made up his mind whether he was going to live or die. The shilly-shallying with the question is absurd." First, there is the nature of her request: it is ridiculous to think that humans can really control whether they die. Second, there is her use of the word "shilly-shallying," which is so classically British and funny to me. I think I respond to ridiculous/absurd/nonsensical humor most, whether it be high or low. If I were to choose between the two, though, I'd probably say high humor.

I love funny TV shows. Some of my favorites are: The Office, Friends, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development, Portlandia and 30 Rock. The humor in Portlandia is very quirky and ridiculous, but thats why I like it. Check out these clips from Portlandia. PLS WATCH.

Portlandia is a satirical sketch show with a few different sketches in each episode. Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein appear in each sketch and are absolutely HILARIOUS. I just love the weird humor and weird situations that arise. It never fails to make me laugh out loud, and there are an endless amount of links I could have posted that are equally as funny as the next. The show has a lot of satire and ridiculous farcical humor. I just love it so much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment