Sunday, March 8, 2015

Comedy - Max Morris

     Of all the examples of humor in the play so far, I found the line about one from Jack where he accuses Algernon of speaking like a dentist the funniest. It's the absurdism of a certain vocal pattern being attributed to a dentist, as opposed to any other sort of doctor, that I found comical. I suppose there was also a pun about the double entendre of the word "impression" in there, but forget that, that's not funny at all. Puns are only funny if they're so poorly done that it's ridiculous, a pun that's actually pretty good is no fun at all. The rest of the humor is pretty hit and miss for me, I'm always amused but rarely think it's truly funny. I feel like a fool but I never cared for stereotypically British wit.

     I have a strange sense of humor. The only things that make me laugh are things that make me uncomfortable, or absurd situations. If I know why I think it's funny, then typically, it isn't funny to me. I tend to like shows like Nathan for You and Check it Out! that consist of formats and situations we are all familiar with, but pushed to ridiculous and sometimes disturbing levels. My two comedic heroes are Tim Heidecker and Andy Kaufman, both of who specialize in making the audience uncomfortable, and blurring the line between jokes and reality. I don't know at all why I find these things funny, as there is never anything inherently comical about them, but they both make me laugh until I can hardly breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment