Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Comedy Blog- Cassadi Cordea



One moment I thought was particularly clever was when Algernon responded to Jack telling him that his name was not Ernest: "You look as if your name was Ernest. You are the most earnest-looking person I ever saw in my life." Here, Wilde create's a double entendre with Ernest's name. Another part that I found amusing was where Lady Bracknell describes Lady Harbury's response to her husband's death.  Losing a spouse is not typically an event that would cause a person to look "twenty years younger", so this could be a comment on the true quality of the marriage. I respond to both "low" and "high" comedy, it really just depends, but overall I think I prefer "high" comedy out of the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BignPBV32Sk

This clip comes from one of my favorite TV shows, "The Office". One element of comedy immediately observed in this show is that the show itself it is a parody of a documentary, a "mockumentary." "Today, smoking is gonna save lives" is an ironic statement made by Dwight at the beginning of the scene right before he starts a trash can fire in the office. This show is filled with satire, sarcasm, and dry humor and that is why I love it. "Parks and Recreation", which has a similar style to "The Office", is another favorite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment