Monday, March 16, 2015

Comedy Blog- Genghis Goodman

In The Importance of Being Ernest, Oscar Wilde entertains readers with humor derived from satire, word play, irony, or even plain ridiculousness. One of my favorite parts of this play is both satirical and ridiculous. My favorite part is when Cecily describes her diary and her engagement with Algernon. This joke begins by Cecily explaining her fabricated engagement with Algernon 3 months before he had any idea what was going on. Somehow, this scene gets more ridiculous as it unfolds and the audience learns that not only has Cecily created an engagement by herself, but she also broke up with herself, then reestablished the engagement only to provide the necessary drama "all legitimate engagements require." This is not only plain ridiculous, but it also pokes fun at the fantasies people sometimes create for themselves.

I appreciate many forms of humor from satire to terrible puns. After considering plethora of TV shows, websites, and Youtubers, I  decided to write about the TV series "How I Met Your Mother." How I Met Your Mother is a TV series about Ted Mosby's journey to find his soul mate. It's full of light hearted humor containing puns, irony, or even plain crude sex jokes from Barney. One thing I appreciate about the series is that very important life lessons can be delivered in such a fun, humous way. For instance, the night before his wedding, Barney drinks too much, runs away, and ends up teaching two young strangers the "way of the bro." As you can imagine,  high jinks ensues; however, at the end of the night, the final lesson Barney teaches (before running off again) is "Whatever you do in this life, it's not legendary, unless your friends are there to see it." I would definitely recommend watching the entire show, but since I can't put a link for that I put a link to a "best of HIMYM" compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfUAb3mDks

No comments:

Post a Comment