Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Post 11? Ben G

Sonnet 

Sonnet 130, Shakespeare

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips' red; If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun; If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head. I have seen roses damasked, red and white, But no such roses see I in her cheeks; And in some perfumes is there more delight Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks. I love to hear her speak, yet well I know That music hath a far more pleasing sound; I grant I never saw a goddess go; My mistress when she walks treads on the ground. And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare.

Shakespeare, William. "Sonnet 130." Poets.orgPoets.org, 1 Jan. 2004. Web. <http://m.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/my-mistress-eyes-are-nothing-sun-sonnet-130>.
This sonnet, Sonnet 130, is (surprise surprise) of the shakespearean type. According to Poets.org, this type follows different rules, and is put together with three quatrains and a couplet. Each quatrain has an abab rhyme scheme internally, with the three together making an abab cdcd efef scheme. The couplet is always an AA scheme, so by tacking it on the end of the quatrains makes the final rhyme scheme, abab cdcd efef gg. Obviously, my copy and paste skills are not good enough to keep it in the correct scheme. Blame text wrapping. 
For me, at least, when I think of a sonnet, I always think shakespeare. There are other kinds, however: the petrarchan, the spenserian, and the modern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment