Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Assignment 10 Echo and Narcissus- Drew Sorenson

This is a rather pitiful tale of issues people in high school should be familiar with: love, talking, and our reflection. Echo, like many modern day high schoolers, chatted constantly and invoked the wrath of Hera for detaining her in her search for her husband who was probably off having fun with the other nymphs. Hera punished her by forcing her to have the last word and the last word only. Thus it was that she repeated everything Narcissus, who caught her fancy one day in the woods, had to say. Narcissus spurned her and she went off into a cave and died (a long while later). Narcissus was also rude to all the other nymphs, and one day one of them wished a curse upon Narcissus, which Hera heard and granted, which caused Narcissus to love something that could never love him back: his reflection.


I can honestly say I don't know very many narcissists, so I can't say there are any that I abhor. As to an altruist I admire, I admire the work of Ghandi. I can think of no other human being who was so selfless and so interested in the well-being of others than he.

No comments:

Post a Comment