Monday, November 10, 2014

Post 10 Echo and Narcissus Karl Werner

Echo was a beautiful nymph, handmaiden to the goddess Diana. She absolutely loved to talk. Her penchant for chatting angered the goddess Juno, who cursed Echo. Echo could now only reply; she could never speak first. Echo saw and fell in love with a handsome youth named Narcissus. She followed him, wishing to speak, but could not utter the first word. He one day finally spoke to Echo, but when she tried to make him love her, Narcissus cast her away. Echo ran away to live in the wilderness, and her beauty faded with time and grief. Narcissus eventually saw his own reflection in water and fell in love. He stared at himself, wondering why every time he went in for a kiss, his love disappeared. He wasted away and died, never getting that kiss. Echo stayed with him the whole time. With the passing of Narcissus, she and the other nymphs grieved and lamented his death.

A narcissist I abhor is Matthew McConaughey. I never had anything against the guy, until that God-awful Lincoln commercial. I had to spend 30 seconds of my life listening to him whisper about how great he and Lincolns are. "I drove a Lincoln...long before anybody paid me to drive one." Dear Lord. I will actually pay to get that ad taken off TV. As if car commercials weren't bad enough.

On the other hand, the world has several altruists I admire, my favorite being Warren Buffet. Oh, he's rich, he can't be altruistic! Buffet is a self-made billionaire. With that large net worth, he engages in many philanthropic and altruistic programs. This includes work with the Gates and Make-A-Wish Foundation. I can really look up to a guy who not only obtained his own wealth, but is using that wealth to improve the world around him. Maybe he can pay to shut McConaughey up.

No comments:

Post a Comment